Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Social: A Southern Appetite For Quirk

/ If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? /
Ah, the great turmoil of deciding between my husband's delicious Greek food and my family's great Southern soul food. Can I just have a plate of spanakopita, avgolemono soup, Greek salad, and a gyro with a side collard greens, chicken and dumplings, Carolina barbecue, and my Grandma's mac n cheese?



/ What’s your guilty pleasure/comfort food? /
Typically simple sweets since I rarely indulge in them ever. Give me a bag of Raisinets and I am a happy girl. Give me pecan pie and I'm even happier. Whisk me away to my late nights of Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supremes and I'm in a fond, greasy, don't-care-that-it's-"dog meat" kind of fantasy.



/ What’s the weirdest/craziest thing you’ve ever eaten? /
Pickled cactus, grilled octopus, and ostrich burger. None of them were anything I'd really contemplate getting again but I have a fairly unrefined palate. Give them a go!

/ What foods do you avoid at all costs? /
SEAFOOD! Y'all! Don't eat Nemo's friends! ... Ok, I do eat tuna from a can. But, I draw the line there and that is FINAL!

/ What meal reminds you of your childhood? /

/ Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it. /
Sausage Balls! Sausage Balls! Sausage Balls!
This is one of the few recipes I had in my back pocket before the ongoing lessons I get from Mr. Pappas began. They are a crowd pleaser every time and a Carolina staple. Think sausage and cheese biscuit rolled up into a ball.

Ingredients
2 Cups of Biscquick
1 Package of Ground Breakfast Sausage (I like Jimmy Dean's Reduced Fat Sausage or turkey sausage, as well!)
1 lb of shredded cheese

Directions
1. Preset oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients thoroughly by hand in a large bowl.
3. Roll into walnut-sized balls and place on cookie sheet (sprayed and foiled)
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.

Voila!

 


1 comment:

  1. Kid Cuisine!!!!! I loved those.

    And I LOVE seafood. Sorry Nemo. I love you too.

    I've never heard of sausage balls. But now I really want to try them. Do you dip them in anything?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...