Friday, July 26, 2013

Five On Friday (7.26.13)

I'd love to use ye olde saying and proclaim, "Thank God it's Friday!" But, alas, when your Friday contains a work day that spans 10PM at night to 7AM on Saturday morning, you have to let go of your premature weekend excitement and resign yourself to forced day-sleeping. Do I work the graveyard shift? No. This is called: being an entertainer. While I shall forever scoff at the idea of business suit antics and cubicle dwellings, there are those days where the shining beacon of normalcy seems nice.

But, then I remember I get (PAID) to play pretend for a living and all's well (that ends well (YES- actor humor! YES- double parenthetical sequence!)).

That being said, it's so nice to reflect on the good in this past week and all of its crazy busy glory.


/ Dollar Tree /
Folks, I have an addiction and it's called the Dollar Tree. Do you want to know why? Because, EVERYTHING'S A DOLLAR. This is a dollar store in its purest form. No thinking. No second guessing. No searching for removed price tags. No price check. No questioning the cashier with furrowed brow, "Oooh... the sign said that was on sale."

The Dollar Tree made me a promise and that promise was that: everything is a dollar.

None of this Dollar General junk where "everything costs generally a dollar."
None of this Family Dollar junk where "everything costs a family of dollars."
None of this 99 Cents And Up junk where "everything is 99 cents and up- just like it is at any. other. store. in. America." A dress at Bloomingdale's is the "up" part of that equation.

NOW, keeping that in mind, there are just some times when the Dollar Tree doesn't quite get it right. 

So, Dollar Tree, I'm sorry but I will not be making my frugal purchase of warming jelly, pregnancy tests, at-home drug tests, or Halloween decor in July today. But, thank you for meeting my needs otherwise. :)



Hubby's Meals /
Separate from the norm, I've been the one working 9AM-6PM every day this week and per usual, my husband has made delicious food. Favorite meals on the list?

- We got the Perfect Tortilla Bowl! It's awesome. Whipped up some chili, put it in the bowl. Delicious.
- Balsamic Rosemary Chicken with warm Quinoa Asparagus Salad modified from this recipe. We used feta cheese instead of goat cheese. YUM.
- Cheeseburger Cauliflower Bake modified from this recipe. Timothy added breadcrumbs on top. C'est magnifique!


/ $5 Shorts From Wal-Mart? /
Yes, please. Why spend a dollar more? You say stingy; I say classy and frugal.


/ Sara Bareilles' New Album, "The Blessed Unrest" /
She is undoubtedly one of the best singer/ songwriters we have out there right now. I've loved her for years and there is no end in sight. She's incredible. Alongside Ingrid Michaelson, she sings my heart and inspires me in my songwriting every day. 

Her strings version of "King Of Anything" reminds me of my own 2010 Folgers jingle submission. A girl who likes strings is fine by me. Hey Sara, can we be besties? Ok thanks!






/ My Husband's Nightly Music Serenades /
If the chicken is marinating or the onions sauteing, then my husband is on the piano. Whether it's mindless jamming, a Billy Joel cover, or a song-request sing along, it's always beautiful. I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have such a musically gifted partner in life. :)


How was your week?

Linking Up With:

3 comments:

  1. I've been completely obsessed with "Brave" lately. I love Sara, and I'd never heard that strings version of "King of Anything" so thanks! Also, your Folgers Jingle is super cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a blast watching your Folgers Jingle. How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love sara b. :)

    also, you should check out my friend's tutorial on how to fix no-reply comments so people (like me) can respond right back to you via email if you comment on a post !!! http://www.kailynmarie.com/p/no-reply-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...