Thursday, July 11, 2013

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken And Mini Peach Cobblers

This has been a week of Jersey Mike's lunches and "I feel guilty about that sandwich, let me undo it with a healthy night" dinners. And those healthy dinners have been awesome due in (large) part to my husband's brilliance in the kitchen. I do have to flip my hair over being the brains behind some of our meal ideas this week. But, Mr. Pappas gets execution props all day long and admittedly usually comes up with our nightly menus.

I cooked up two little Pinterest finds this week. Both were tasty, one more than the other.



Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
This recipe is what a lazy cook like me loves. Dump that mess in the crock pot and let. it. go. We served the chicken up on soft flour tortillas with chopped romaine, cheese, and light sour cream with a side of authentic yellow rice. Fresh, filling, delicious and lots of leftovers after a meal for two.

/ Ingredients / 
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (We only used 2 since there are only two of us- it was packed with flavor because of this fact!)
1 Jar of Salsa
1 Pack of Taco Seasoning
Yes. Yes that's all you need.

/ Directions /
1. Layer half of the jar of salsa onto the bottom of the Crock Pot.
2. Place chicken breasts atop the layer of salsa.
3. Sprinkle the entire packet of taco seasoning evenly atop the chicken.
4. Layer the remainder of the salsa on top.
5. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 6-8 hours.
6. Shred the chicken with two forks and serve with your favorite ingredients!
(Adapted from My Imperfect Kitchen)



Mini Peach Cobblers
I made these for myself on my birthday because I wanted to be selfish and indulgent. They were quite tasty but I probably could have put more batter in my very large muffin tin, as well as baked it a little longer. I also thought 1 teaspoon of butter per muffin cup was a bit much. I'd suggest omitting the butter and using an olive oil spray for a lighter option.

They tasted lovely but looked like little nondescript, deflated pillows of mush. Experiment yourself let me know how it goes for you!

/ Ingredients / 
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Dash of salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
1 large can peaches, diced (I diced mine at home. You can usually find pre-diced peaches in the individual fruit cup section)

/ Directions /
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place 1 teaspoon of melted butter into each regular size muffin tin.
3. Stir together the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and add in milk.
4. Put 2 (or more!) tablespoons of batter into each muffin tin.
5. Add 1 tablespoon diced peaches on top of the batter.
6. Sprinkle with brown sugar and then cinnamon.
7. Bake for 12 minutes or until done.
8. Let cool completely before taking out of pan. Use a butter knife to loosen the edges and remove them from tin.
(Adapted from Alli N Sons)

Happy cooking! Happy eating!

Link-Up:
- A Glimpse Inside -

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, these both look yum! I've done a crock pot chicken with salsa, but not taco seasoning. Bet that makes it extra tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...