Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Philly Cheesesteak


After a long Friday overnight rehearsal from 10PM- 7AM, I came home to my empty bed just as the hubs left for work, collapsed into an overdue coma until noon and naturally wanted nothing to do with cooking. I did however manage to do two loads of laundry, empty the dishwasher, and vacuum the apartment, but I digress.

Timothy had stocked us up on meats from BJ's (that's what she said?), so I conveniently grabbed some chicken breast and made an executive decision: Crock Pot Chicken Cheese Steak. Oh yeah.
We used some Publix French bread. Get ready to have your mind blown. Did you know you can get day old Jimmy John's bread for FIFTY CENTS a loaf? True story. Do it. We got FOUR of them.


/ Ingredients /
1.5 Pounds of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Medium Green Pepper (sliced thin)
1 Medium Onion (sliced)
1 14 oz can of Beef Broth (you could opt to use chicken or vegetable as well)
1 Envelope of Italian Dressing
1 Loaf of French Bread (your preference)
Sliced Provolone Cheese (number of slices can be based on your preference)

/ Directions /
1. Spray crock pot with cooking spray
2. Cut meat into strips and place in slow cooker
3. Add green pepper, onion, broth, and dressing mix
4. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally
5. OPTIONAL: Once cooked, top the mixture with cheese slices for an extra searing and quick, melted goodness in a frying pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
6. Spoon meat mixture onto bread.
(You could also toast bread in a 375 oven for 5-10 minutes, add meat, cover with cheese, then bake an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.)
7. Use leftover juices from crock pot as a dipping sauce.
Note: After trying this recipe, I would add Worcestershire sauce to the mix for added flavor.



Totally Tasty Tuesdays  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I want that sandwich! I lived in Philly for 3+3 years, and I miss Philly cheesesteaks SOOOOOOOO much. This recipe might satisfy my craving for a little while. :) Thanks!
    Hope you are able to get some normal sleep soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Then YOU know what a REAL Philly is. I've only been to Philadelphia once and it was during a 15 minute flight layover. But, I had never had cheesesteak before so my husband made us run thru the airport to get one. We barely made our flight.

      Was it worth it? You better believe it.

      We're hoping to make a trip there soon since it's where my father in law is from! Thanks for the sleepy wishes! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...